The Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development is mandated to perform the following functions:
- Advise the Government on matters pertaining to curriculum development
- Evaluate, vet and approve, for application in Kenya, any local and foreign curricula and curriculum support materials in relation to the levels of education and training" referred to in bullet (4)
- Implement the policies relating to curriculum development in basic and tertiary education and training;
- Develop, review and approve programmes, curricula and curriculum support materials that meet international standards for— (i) early childhood care, development and education; (ii) pre-primary education; (iii) primary education; (iv) secondary education; (v) adult, continuing and non-formal education; (vi) teacher education and training; (vii) special needs education; and (viii) technical and vocational education and training.
- Initiate and conduct research to inform curriculum policies, review and development.
- Collect document and catalogue information on curricula, curriculum support materials and innovations to create a data bank and disseminate the information to educational institutions, learners and other relevant organisations
- Print, publish and disseminate information relating to curricula for basic and tertiary education and training
- Collaborate with other individuals and institutions in organizing and conducting professional development programmes for teachers, teacher trainers, quality assurance and standards officers and other officers involved in education and training on curriculum programmes and materials
- Develop disseminate and transmit programmes and curriculum support materials through mass media, electronic learning, distance learning and any other mode of delivering education and training programmes and materials
- Promote equity and access to quality curricula and curriculum support materials
- Promote appropriate utilisation of technology to enhance innovations and achievement of a knowledge based economy
- Offer consultancy services in basic and tertiary education and training
- Incorporate national values, talent development and leadership values in curriculum development
- Receive, consider, develop and review curriculum proposals
- Perform such other function as may be assigned to it under the KICD Act No.4 of 2013 or any other written law.