Teacher and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) is a division established at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development to facilitate the development of curricular and curriculum support materials.
Further, the division is positioned to ensure that KICD sustains it functions of promoting equity and access to quality curricula and curriculum support materials, promote appropriate utilisation of technology to enhance innovations and achievement of a knowledge based economy, offer consultancy services in basic and tertiary education and training, incorporate national values, talent development and leadership values in curriculum development, receive, consider, develop and review curriculum proposals amongst other functions.
TVET division has endeavoured to meet the demands of the wide spectrum of clients. The division has a current establishment of 17 curriculum specialists serving over 100 sector specific subjects.
They are competent in the areas of:
- Clothing and Textiles
- ICT and Computer Technology
- Home Management
- Project Management
- Accounting and Supplies Management
- Business Management
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Building and Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Secretarial Studies
- Hotel and Tourism Management
The current curriculum specialists have strengths in efficient curriculum development process and organization. They have multi skills in integration of soft skills in the curriculum and have the capacity to develop content for basic support subjects including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In addition TVET has collaborated with other stakeholders in developing quality curriculum and curriculum support materials and facilitating training programs in curriculum development and examination.
KICD through TVET division has collaborated with key agencies to review and develop curriculum, training manuals and instructors guides for:
- National Police Service- Police Training curriculum for: Basic Recruit Training- Diploma Level, Cadet Training-Advanced Diploma
- National Police Service in collaboration with the Swedish Police – Training materials on Community Policing and Forensic Investigations
- Kenya Wildlife Service- Diploma and Certificate in Wildlife Training Programs, Basic Recruit Training- Diploma Level, Cadet Training-Advanced Diploma for Law Enforcement Academy
- Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC): Voter Education Curriculum and Training Manual
- College of Insurance- Diploma and Certificate in Insurance Management Options
- Kenya School of Monetary Studies- Diploma and Certificate in Finance and Banking Options
- Kenya Maritime Authority- Diploma and Certificate in Maritime and Nautical Science options
- Kenya Ports Authority – Diploma and Certificate in Port Transport operations
- Kenya Prisons- Review of Human Rights Curriculum in collaboration with Sweden International Development Agency
- Government of South Sudan- Development of Training Materials for Local government officers
- World Society for Protection of animals (WSPA)- Development of Handbook for Animal Welfare Education
Below are ongoing projects;
- Development of training modules for Kenya School of Adventure and Leadership (KESAL)
- Finalization of the report on Financial Literacy Education